Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Are all Bookkeepers permitted to prepare and lodge an approved form for a client that relates to a GST, PAYG withholding, PAYG installment or FBT installment obligations?

A. No Sec. 251L (6) of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 only permits Bookkeepers who fall under the following exception to prepare and/or lodge a BAS form on behalf of his client, or provide any advice about how to do this or advise them about BAS provisions and charge a fee. It is an offense and offenders can be prosecuted and fined up to $22,000 for breach of this law. Under the exemptions, bookkeepers may prepare, lodge and charge for the provision of BAS services if they are:

  • member of a recognised professional association
  • working under the direction of a registered tax agent or
  • a payroll services provider preparing a BAS only for PAYG withholding obligations.

By engaging CCPL Bookkeeping Services, you know that you are dealing with a qualified and an NIA Registered Bookkeeper who is permitted by law to prepare and lodge all Business Activity Statement items.

Q. What if my bookkeeper makes a mistake and costs me a lot of money? Am I covered?

A. Yes, if you choose CCPL Bookkeeping to manage all your bookkeeping needs you will be covered by their Professional Indemnity Insurance that covers you for any financial losses encountered.

Q. Are all Bookkeepers experienced and qualified to practice as Bookkeepers?

A. No, not all Bookkeepers are qualified. Short courses and 2-day seminars are not a considered a legitimate qualification. Our staff at CCPL Bookkeeping Services are not only degree qualified, but they also possess 20 years of practical experience in Industry & Public Accounting Practice. At CCPL Bookkeeping Services, we know what we are talking about!